Want to create a batch of effervescent, tasty, low calorie tea full of health benefits for under five dollars? Introducing Kombucha, a fermented tea drink that is becoming widely popular in North America for it’s taste and health benefits. Kombucha has been claimed to aid in cancer prevention, joint care, degenerative diseases, detoxification and immune systems. Lucky for you, it is really simple to make, all you need to do is jump on your local craigslist page and search for a Kombucha Scoby (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast). These “Scoby’s”, also known as “Kombucha baby’s” are easy to come by and often free, because every batch produces a new one. Once you have acquired your “Scoby” follow the easy Kombucha recipe below:
1. Boil 3 quarts of water
2. Add four black, white or green tea bags and four fruit tea bags, then let steep for 20 minutes.
3. Remove tea bags and mix in two cups of sugar until dissolved.
4. Cool to room temperature and pour into a 1-gallon glass jar.
5. Add Kombucha ‘Baby/Scoby’ and fluid to jar.
6. Cover with a clean tea towel and seal with a rubber band.
7. Place in a dark, warm environment (ideally 72 to 80 degrees) for 7 to 14 days.
8. After 7-14 days taste the Kombucha. If it is too sweet brew it for a couple more days.
9. When it has reached your desired taste, poor Kombucha to the brim of your glass bottles
10. Store the bottles for five days and then enjoy!
* For those of you who live in the Vancouver area send me an email as I have a new SCOBY every month*