Do you ever wonder why some brands or website always appear at the top of search results? One word: SEO.
SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimization is the method of tweaking and adjusting the code and content of your website to achieve preferred ranking on search engine results. To do this it is important to think about SEO before you even buy your domain name. Make sure from the start you very clearly communicate what your website is about. Once you have decided this, figure out your keywords and then use them in your domain name, website name, and a couple times in the website description.
The key steps to a successful SEO website is QUALITY and QUANTITY. Create an excellent user experience with web pages and useful content that is updated frequently. There is no magic secret to SEO, you just need to create a large useful website with useful content; a website with lots of pages, targeted pages, links, likes and followers.
For an intro of how to do this yourself, check out these 10 steps to SEO your website:
1. Brainstorm Keywords – Thinking about keywords to describe your website. What keywords best describe your business? What phrases best describe what you do? What products are most profitable? What products that you sell are suitable for online business?
2. Estimate demand for search popularity – You can use Google Adwords Keyword Planner , to research search popularity or demand of keywords.
3. Research Competition – Look into what keywords they use and if their websites are SEO optimized.
4. Decide on best keywords for brand – Use all the information you collected researching popularity and competition to find the best keywords for your brand.
5. Site Architecture – Site Map – Think about future structure of website, where will important keywords be placed and on what pages.
6. Keywords in Domain Name – Put keyword phrases in every page including your domain name and title.
7. HTML Tags – Title Tag – Description Meta Tag – Alt/Image Tag – Keyword Meta Tag. Ensure all these have your keywords in them.
8. Keyword Density – Use keywords in the heading, subheading and in the copy ( a couple of times ) of your website.
9. Link Building – Submit your site to important directories, search engines and other related and relevant websites. Submit your site map to search engines. Exchange your links with relevant websites and become a member of various industry associates with online member directories. Use linkpopularity.com to discover where your competition is linked from and try to be listed on that source.
10. Social Media Icons – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google Plus. – Remember to actively promote your pages and truly connect with your customers.
Have you worked on the SEO of your website and do you see a difference in search engine rank? Let me know in the comments below.